© Science Museum
Oil on canvas painting by W Wheldon, showing a cable wagonway returning empty wagons to the mine on the Northumberland and Durham coalfield. In the foreground, two miners are walking home after a shift at the coalface, and in the background are the pithead and coking ovens. The collieries of Northumberland and Durham produced a vital contribution to the energy supplies necessary for the trade expansion of the 1840s and 1850s.
Colliery and wagonway, Northumberland and Durham coalfield, c 1845.