A photograph of a squadron of Spitfire fighter planes at Duxford aerodrome, Cambridgeshire, taken by Edward Malindine for the Daily Herald newspaper on 4 May, 1939. The Spitfire was designed by Reginald Mitchell (1895-1937) and developed from a racing seaplane, the Supermarine S6B, which won the Schneider trophy in 1931. The first prototype flew in 1936 and the first aeroplanes were delivered to the RAF in June, 1938. Several improved versions of the Spitfire were produced during the Second World War and by 1947 over 20,000 had been built. This photograph has been selected from the Daily Herald Archive, a collection of over three million photographs. The archive holds work of international, national and local importance by both staff and agency photographers.