© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library
A view of the cage that was built during the construction of the bottom member of the Forth Bridge. The Forth Railway Bridge was opened in March 1890 following eight years of building, and completed the East Coast railway route between London and Aberdeen. It spans the Firth of Forth, joining the cities of Edinburgh and Fife in Scotland. The bridge was designed by Sir John Fowler and Sir Benjamin Baker, and built by engineer Sir William Arrol. It contains almost 54,000 tons of steel and when completed, the 1.5 mile long bridge was the biggest in the world. It is the world's oldest cantilever railway bridge and remains in use to this day.
Construction works, Forth Railway Bridge, Scotland, 9 March 1887.