Coloured lithograph by T M Baynes, of the view from Church Street with Whitstable in the distance, showing the steam locomotive 'Invicta'. The Invicta was built for the Canterbury and Whitstable line by Robert Stephenson & Company. English engineer and mechanic Stephenson (1803-1859) based the design of the Invicta on that of the 'Rocket' that became famous after winning the Rainhill Trials on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway in 1829. The Canterbury & Whitstable Railway was known locally as the 'Crab and Winkle' line. It was taken over by the South Eastern Railway in 1844, and remained in operation until 1952. Printed by C Hullmandel and published by Henry Ward, 14 Sun Street, Canterbury.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library