View of engine. This is the first four-cylinder car to be made by the Daimler Company at their factory at Coventry. Driven by Lord Montagu, the car won the third prize in the Paris-Ostend race in 1899, the first time a British car had been entered in a foreign road motor race. The engine, which generates 12 hp at 700 rpm, is placed vertically at the front and drives the rear wheels through a gearbox, transverse differential shaft and chains. The car's top speed is 30 mph.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library