Advertisement for Lumiere Cinematographe exhibitied at the Marlborough Hall in Regent Street, London. Louis Lumiere (1864-1948) and Auguste Lumiere (1862- 1954) were two French brothers who invented the Cinematographe after hearing of Edison's invention, the Kinetoscope. This was a box-like viewer containing a strip of moving pictures to give the impresion of real-life motion through the phenomenon of 'persistent vision'. The Cinematographe's attraction was in projecting moving images onto a screen. The Lumiere brothers gave their first cinema show of 10 films at the Grand Cafe on the Boulevard des Capucines in Paris on 28 December 1895.
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library