Medal celebrating the Newcastle-Upon-Tyne Trials and Industrial Exhibition of 1887. Obverse view showing the bridge. The High Level Bridge in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne was officially opened on 28th September 1849, was built for the York, Newcastle & Berwick Railway. Designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859), it consists of six spans of cast iron bowstring arches, supported on stone piers, which carry the railway 120 feet above the River Tyne. The bridge has two levels, with the railway on the upper deck and a roadway on the lower.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library