Lithograph by Charles Motte after an original work by Pierre Louis ('Henri') Grevedon. After working in London's Woolwich Arsenal as a skilled blacksmith and toolmaker, Maudslay (1771-1831) joined the famous locksmith, Joseph Bramah, and quickly became his head foreman. By 1797, Maudslay had started his own busines producing machine tools, and developed two extremely significant tools - a highly accurate screw-cutting lathe and the slide rest lathe. Maudslay developed other revolutionary precision tools, in particular the machinery used in the production of ships blocks. This brought him considerable busines and fame and, in 1810, he moved his works to Lambeth, making machine tools and marine engines.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library