Autochrome photograph by the well-known amateur photographer Mrs G A Barton, showing a young woman kneeling in a garden surrounded by flowers, fruit and garden gnomes. Autochromes were particularly popular with photographers wishing to achieve a painterly effect reminiscent of French pointillism. The autochrome was introduced in 1904 by the Lumiere company in France and was the first commercially available colour proces. Sold in the form of slow plates, grains of dyed starch acted as colour filters for the light entering the camera.
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library