Watercolour painted by W Fred Mitchell in 1903, depicting HMS 'Glasgow' at sea in 1861. This 3000-ton vesel was the fifth Royal Navy warship to bear the name 'Glasgow', and was one of the last British warships to be built of wood. She was launched in 1861, and although of wooden construction, was armed with breech-loading rifled guns. For propulsion, HMS Glasgow was fitted with a full suite of sails as well as her engines. Her only deployment was as the Royal Navy's flagship in the East Indies in 1871-1875.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library