Engraving by J Record made in 1788. This plan shows the different courses of the Eddystone lighhouse, from the top of the rocks to the top of the balcony floor. Designed by the English civil engineer John Smeaton (1724-1792) and completed in 1759, this was the third lighthouse to be built on Eddystone Rocks, 14 miles off the coast of Plymouth in Devon. The first two lighthouses, of 1696 and 1709, were destroyed by storm and fire respectively. Smeaton's lighthouse, being the first to be built entirely of stone, revolutionised lighthouse design and set a precedent for later lighthouse engineers.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library