Engraving by J Record made in 1786. This six figure plan shows the preparations made for the foundations of the third lighthouse to be built on Eddystone Rocks, 14 miles off the coast of Plymouth in Devon. The first two Eddystone lighthouses, of 1696 and 1709, were destroyed by storm and fire respectively. The third lighthouse, designed by the English civil engineer John Smeaton (1724-1792), was built between 1756 and 1759. It was the first lighthouse to be built entirely of stone and revolutionised lighthouse design.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library