Stipple engraving, drawn and engraved by Thomas Wageman. The British surgeon Charles Aldis (c 1775-1863) was the first to introduce vaccination to the county of Hertfordshire, after moving there in 1800. The first vaccination for smallpox had been developed in 1796 by Edward Jenner (1749-1823) and within five years vaccination was practised acros the western world. Aldis also founded the Glandular Institute for the Cure of Cancer. Published for the European Magazine by J Asperne, 32 Cornhill, 1st December, 1817.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library