Model (scale 1:8). This petrol motor fire engine made by Leyland Motors Ltd in 1936 for the London Fire Brigade features an enclosed body of the type first constructed in 1930 for the Edinburgh fire brigade. This offered greater weather and accident protection to the crew. To increase the presure from the mains a two-stage centrifugal pump which would deliver 700 gallons per minute of water at 120lbs per square inch was fitted. The full crew consisted of one officer and five firemen. Front side view.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library