Colour lithograph printed by Ackermann & Co, 96, Strand. Four trains are shown travelling on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway, which was opened in 1830 under the supervision of its chief engineer, George Stephenson (1781- 1848). The first locomotive shown is the 'Liverpool', hauling first clas carriages and a mail coach. The second is the 'Fury' hauling second clas carriages. The third is the 'North Star' hauling goods wagons and the fourth is the 'Jupiter', hauling carriages carrying livestock.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library