Coloured aquatint engraving by S G Hughes, after an original drawing by Thomas Talbot Bury, of Liverpool Crown Street Station on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway, the world's first intercity railway. The first railway station built in Liverpool was at Crown Street. In addition to the passenger station with its offices and waiting rooms, there were also goods facilities and accommodation for coal merchants. In 1836 Crown Street was relegated to a goods and engineering maintenance depot. Published by R Ackermann, 96 The Strand, London.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library