Side elevation drawing taken from the book 'Locomotives of the GWR 1857'. Beneath the image, the names of 18 five feet tank engines built for the Great Western Railway (GWR) are listed, including 'Buffalo', 'Dromedary', 'Elephant', 'Etna', 'Gemini', 'Helga', 'Libra', and 'Stromboli'. A description of the engines' main features is also included. The GWR was built from 1835 to provide a route from Bristol to London, using broad gauge track developed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel (1806-1859). The line opened fully in 1841. The railway was converted to standard gauge track in 1892. Until 1864 many of the GWR's locomotives were designed by Sir Daniel Gooch (1816-1889), who built a total of 340 engines for the railway at Swindon Works.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library