Studio portrait photograph by Maull and Polyblank of George Walker Arnott (1799-1868). Arnott studied law in Edinburgh, but later took up botany. He lectured on botanical studies in Glasgow after travelling the continent. He also studied the botany of North America and is asociated with Sir William Hooker (1785-1865), director of Kew Gardens. Henry Maull and George Henry Polyblank founded the photographic studio Maull & Polyblank in London in 1854, specialising in studio portraits of well-known individuals of the time. Much of their photographic work was used to produce engravings for the then weekly 'Illustrated London News', and forty of their most celebrated portraits were published as 'Photographic Portraits of Living Celebrities' (1856-1859).
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library