Two iron artificial arms and an amputation saw. It was thought that the arms may have been owned by Gotz von Berlichingen (1480-1562), the German knight and adventurer. Artificial limbs such as these were expensive items made by armourers, and they allowed wearers, who had lost a limb in combat, to continue with their fighting career. The lower arm is believed to date from 1560-1600, the upper one is a more recent copy. The ornate amputation saw is from the 16th century. Full view.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library