Watercolour showing soldiers, carriages and crowds of people gathered outside the station. King's Cross, designed by Lewis Cubitt and built in 1850, was the terminus for the Great Northern Railway. For the first two years the station dealt with private traffic, for example equipment being taken to Crystal Palace for the Great Exhibition, but opened to public traffic in 1852. It was built on the site of a former smallpox and fever hospital on Euston Road, next to where St Pancras Station was constructed in 1865.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library