Model (scale 1:64). This paddle steamer was built of steel in 1864 at Liverpool and was used as a blockade-runner by the Confereracy in the American Civil War. Named after the commandant of Fort Fisher, North Carolina, she was schooner-rigged with two masts. At the end of the war, the 'Colonel Lamb' was sold to the Brazilian Government and chartered to take a cargo of explosives acros the Atlantic but before her departure, while at anchor in the Mersey, her cargo exploded.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library