Model (scale 1:48). This turbine steamer was built in 1904 by W Denny and Brothers at Dumbarton for the fast service run between Heysham (Lancashire) and Belfast (Northern Ireland) run by the Midland Railway Company. 1600 pasengers could be carried, and cabin accomodation provided for about 250 of these. In 1903 the Midland Railway Company decided that two of their four new steamers, the 'Antrim' and the 'Donegal' would be fitted with reciprocating engines while the 'Londonderry' and the 'Manxman' would have turbines. In 1927 the 'Londonderry' was sold to a French company, who operated her between Dunkirk and Tilbury, then Folkestone, until she was sold for scrap in 1936.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library