Contemporary unrigged model (scale 1:48). A 90-gun sailing line-of-battle ship, designed by Sir William Symonds, Surveyor of the Navy, and launched at Devonport, Plymouth in 1842. The ships of the 'Albion' clas were the largest two-decker men-of war built in Britain during the sailing ship period. They were of 3111 tons, with a breadth of 60 feet and a gun deck 204 feet long. They came so late in the era of sail that only two were completed. The use of the round bow increased the number of guns that a large ship could bring to bear on either bow. In 1861 the 'Albion' was converted into a steam ship with screw propulsion.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library