Oil painting by W J Huggins, showing the 'Herefordshire' off Margate, Kent, in 1813. As is common with pictures painted to the order of the owner, the ship is shown in three positions (broadside, from the bow and from the stern). She was built in Bombay, carried a crew of 130 men and was armed with 36 guns. Like other East Indiamen, the Herefordshire was privately owned but was chartered by the Honourable East India Company, to whose specification she had been built.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library