Engraving subsequently coloured by F J Havell after a drawing by T H Shepherd, published by Jones and Company in 1827. The print shows two horse-drawn canal boats pasing through the lock, approaching the tunnel. The Regent's Canal, connecting the Paddington Canal and the Thames at Limehouse, was opened in 1820. The canal cost £772,000 to construct, twice the amount originally estimated. The Islington Tunnel, which at three quarters of a mile long (878 metres) is the longest canal tunnel in London, was completed in 1819. The first steam tug in Britain was introduced in 1826.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library