Up to about 1910 most houses had a built-in 'copper' in the scullery for washing clothes. These usually burned coal, but gas-fired, free-standing wash boilers such as this were also introduced from around the turn of the century. Although it could be emptied by means of a tap, it had to be filled by hand. This wash boiler was made by John Wright and Company and has two gas burners. Three- quarter view with lid open.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library