This ornate bras table clock was made by George Lucenberg (d 1660) of Augsburg, Germany and is a typical example of its period. The simple 12 hour dial, with intermediate marks for the half hours, is provided with only a single hour hand. The case, frame, wheels and pillars are of bras, and the case has glazed side windows through which the movement can be seen. This clock was formerly in the Library of Windsor Castle and was presented to the Science Museum in 1949 by King George VI.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library