This small lock-stitch sewing machine was patented by S A Rosenthal of Berlin, Germany in 1885 and manufactured with some modifications by the Moldacot Pocket Sewing Machine Company of London from 1885-86. The machine has a clamp to secure it to a table and is worked by pushing down the needle bar which has a spring return. It was used for tacking during dres and suit fittings. At the time, it was the smallest sewing machine available, and was supplied in a metal case measuring only 8 x 2 3/4 x 1 1/2 inches (20 x 7 x 3 cm). The firm only remained in busines for two years and although up to 60,000 machines may have been produced, very few were sold. The machine design was not fully developed and as a consequence its performance was poor.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library