This was the Earl of Caledon's carriage used for civic ceremonies, state occasions and for driving to presentations at court. It was drawn by two horses and usually carried two pasengers. A coachman, dresed in state livery consisting of a heavily braided velvet coat, knee breeches, white silk stockings and buckled shoes, drove the coach, while at the rear two footmen, with powdered wigs and cocked hats and carrying gilded staves, stood on the small rear platform. The chasis of the carriage was built for the Earl in about 1850, but this body was substituted for the original in 1891.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library