Sectioned view. Henry Ford (1863-1947) introduced the Ford Model T motor car in 1908. Made in Detroit, Michigan, United States, using mas production techniques, it made the motor car much more of an 'everyday item'. Simple, durable, easy to maintain, and cheap, the Model T engine remained esentially unchanged from its introduction until the car was replaced by the Model A in 1927. It was a four cylinder, 2.9 litre, 20 hp, side-valve engine which gave the car a maximum speed of 40 mph. It was also used as a power plant for specialist vehicles and other applications. Such was its usefulnes that it continued in production for marine and industrial purposes until 1931, and thence in batch production until 1941.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library