Made by the London instrument maker Charles Tulley, this bras telescope has a 3 1/4 inch aperture lens and is mounted on a yoke stand with braced mahogany tripod. To aid the location of objects under study, it is provided with a smaller finder telescope. It is also fitted with a pair of nested drawtube arms to steady the telescope whilst it is moving or stationary. This telescope was originally purchased for 36 guineas (£37.80) by John Lecky and remained in the same family unitl it was donated to the Science Museum in 1915. Originally supplied with a bras tabletop stand, surviving letters indicate that a local carpenter made the wooden tripod.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library