Poster produced for the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER) to promote rail services to Lincoln, showing an interior view of Lincoln Cathedral's Angel Choir. Built in 1256-80 and named 'Angel Choir' after the 28 angels carved on the walls, the choir includes traceried windows in the Decorated style and the famous 'Lincoln Imp' - a carving which is now the city's emblem. This poster shows the choir partially covered with scaffolding during restoration. Artwork by Fred Taylor (1875-1963), who designed ceiling paintings for the Underwriting Room at Lloyd's and murals for Reed's Lacquer Room. He exhibited at the Royal Academy and other London galleries and worked for the Empire Marketing Board and London Transport.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library