"Composite coach number 59, photographed in front of Soho Cottage, Shildon, County Durham, 1875. This coach was built in 1845 and ran on the Stockton & Darlington Railway. It was photographed to mark the Golden Jubilee of the Railway. The Stockton & Darlington was the first public railway to use steam locomotives to haul passengers and goods. Its lines in the North East of England covered less than 30 miles and were mainly used to transport heavy minerals, particularly coal. Soho Cottage was the home of Timothy Hackworth, railway engineer, from 1833-1850."
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved