"Workers with loaded trolleys in a warehouse at the London, Midland & Scottish Railway's Oldham Road goods depot. This was an area where freight was stored until it was ready to be loaded onto a train and taken to its destination. Freight was also stored here when it was unloaded from a train, before it was collected. It was always a hive of activity with vehicles and trolleys moving. Oldham Road started life as a station in 1839 but after 4 years it was closed and turned into a goods depot."
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved