Night view of the rear of the mill from the Saltaire-Baildon footbridge. This vast mill, on the bank of the River Aire near Shipley, was built by philanthropic mill owner Sir Titus Salt (1803-1876). The mill, which employed 3000 workers, used four beam engines to power 1200 looms and was capable of producing up to 30,000 yards of cloth per day. As well as the mill, which was opened in 1853, Salt built a model village for his workers on 25 acres of land between 1851 and 1876. The village, which he named 'Saltaire', contained houses, sports and recreation facilities, a centre combining offices, shops and a park, a library, a learning institute and a school. The mill ceased operating in 1892 and lay derelict for nearly a century before being restored and made into public galleries, shops and office space.
© Richard Bosomworth / Science & Society