Daguerreotype view of the Areopagus, Athens. This daguerreotype, made in 1852, is a copy of a salt print from a calotype negative, taken by Reverend George Bridges in 1847. The Areopagus or Hill of Ares, the Greek god of war, is a rocky hill close to the Acropolis. It was used as the sacred meeting place of the council of Athens until the end of fifth ccentury BC. According to the Bible, Acts 17:16-33, the Apostle Paul preached on the Areopagus. The Reverend George Bridges met photographic pioneer, William Henry Fox Talbot in 1846. The two men soon became good friends and Talbot arranged for Bridges to receive instruction in photography. Between 1846 and 1852 Bridges travelled to Italy, Malta, Sicily, Greece, Egypt and the Holy Land, taking nearly 2,000 photographs.
© National Museum of Science & Media / Science & Society Picture Library