This 1906 image shows several locomotives parked on the bridge's centre spans to test its load-bearing capacity. King Edward VII (1841-1910) opened the bridge on 10 July 1906. It was designed by Charles Augustus Harrison, and carries four railway tracks. The centre two span 300 feet each. The bridge removed the need for northbound trains to reverse into Newcastle Central Station, and made it possible for the first time for trains to travel to the East Coast. Cleveland Bridge & Engineering Co Ltd were the contractors.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library