Coloured lithograph drawn and lithographed by George Hawkins (1819-1852), showing a view of the completed of the Britannia Tubular Bridge. The Britannia Tubular Bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) and was completed in 1850. It was constructed to provide trains of the Chester and Holyhead Railway with a passageway across the Menai Straits from mainland Wales to Anglesey. The railway terminated at Holyhead, which became a major port for travellers to Ireland. Published by Ackermann & Co on 30 March 1850.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library