Berlin from the balloon ride tourist attraction near the Sony Centre. The Fernsehturm (Television Tower) near Alexanderplatz was completed in 1969, stands 365 metres high and has a revolving restaurant. It was intended as a symbol of the permanence of East Berlin and the German Democratic Republic. However the wall which divided East and West Berlin was pulled down in 1989. To the left is the Berliner Dom (Berlin Cathedral), built in 1905.
© Richard Bosomworth / Science & Society