Technical drawing of a chaldron coal wagon built at Shildon, dated 30th May 1854. This distinctive chaldron wagon type was the mainstay of railways that served collieries in the North East of England from the early nineteenth to early twentieth centuries. The Shildon Works Company supplied vehicles and services to the Stockton & Darlington Railway and later the North Eastern Railway. It also supplied other railway companies.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved