The opening of the Canterbury and Whitstable Railway, by T M Baynes, 3 May 1830. The railway linked Canterbury to the Kent Coast. At first the trains were mainly hauled by stationary engines, due to the steep gradients. The C&WR was amalgamated into the Southern Railway in 1853. It closed to traffic in 1952.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved