Body shop in York carriage works, 10 March 1952. York carriage works opened in 1884, for the building and repair of Great Eastern Railway carriages. By the 1950s most carriages were being made from iron or steel, rather than wood. Carriage building continued after the nationalisation of the railways but the works have now been privatised.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved