Passenger train at Tan-Y Bwlch station, Gwynedd, on the Ffestiniog railway about 1909. This town is famous for its narrow gauge railway which was mainly used to carry slate from the mines to the port of Portmadog. By the 1920s the slate industry was in decline and the line closed to slate traffic in 1946. However it was reopened in the 1950s and gradually restored by volunteers. The steam trains now run as a popular tourist attraction.
© National Railway Museum / Science & Society Picture Library -- All rights reserved