Lithograph by A Maugendre showing the north seam and inclined plane of one of the zinc mines owned by the Societe Anonyme de Mines et Fonderies de Zinc de la Vieille Montagne (Vieille Montagne zinc mine and foundry company). On the left the ore is raised in wagons by means of a funicular-type railway, while an explosion can be seen on the right. Between 1816 and 1919, Moresnet was a tiny neutral territory of about 3.5 square kilometers, sandwiched between Belgium and Germany. It is now part of Belgium. Illustration from Maugendre's 'Album des usines et etablisements de la societe', (Album of factories and premises of the company), published in Paris in 1855.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library