Lithograph by G Hawkins after his own drawing, showing the floating of the second tube in September 1848. The Conway Tubular Bridge, which was built acros the River Conwy, Gwynedd, in 1849, was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) as part of the Chester to Holyhead Railway. The main span of the bridge is 125 metres. On the left is Conway (now Conwy) Castle.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library