Photograph of the 36 inch refracting telescope at the Lick Observatory on Mt Hamilton, California in the United States. Built by the American company of Warner & Swasey Ltd with optics by Alvan Clark & Sons, the telescope was completed in 1888. This telescope was the primary instrument of the new institution, the first permanent mountaintop observatory to be built. The whole observatory was funded through a gift from James Lick (1796-1877), a businesman who made a fortune in real estate.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library