Aquatint by J Cleghorn after an original drawn by Thomas H Shepherd showing the entrance to the Regent's Canal from the Thames at Limehouse. The Regent's Canal was built to connect the Thames to the Grand Junction Canal's Paddington Branch. Engineered by James Morgan, asistant to the famous architect John Nash, the canal opened fully in 1820. It cost £772,000 to construct, twice the amount originally estimated. In 1929 the Regent's Canal Company purchased the Grand Junction and Warwick Canals, merging the three waterways to create the Grand Union Canal.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library