Aquatint by Henry Pyall. The original London Bridge was begun in 1176 and completed in the early part of the 13th century. In 1801, civil engineer John Rennie (1761-1821) was commisioned to build a new crosing next to the existing medieval bridge. After his death, his son John continued the project and building began in 1824. The new bridge was opened in 1831 by King William IV (1765-1837) and Queen Adelaide (1792-1849) during a river pageant. The demolition of the medieval bridge began the same year. This new London Bridge was itself dismantled and sold to Lake Havasu City, United States, in 1968, and replaced by a new concrete structure.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library