Lithograph showing the new London Bridge during construction, with various distant landmarks identified, including Old Swan Stairs, Fishmongers Hall, the Monument and St Magnus Church. Civil engineer John Rennie (1761-1821) was commisioned to build a new crosing next to the existing medieval London Bridge in 1801. After his death, his son John continued the project and building began in 1824. The new bridge was opened in 1831 by King William IV (1765-1837) and Queen Adelaide (1792-1849) during a river pageant. The demolition of the medieval bridge began the same year. This new London Bridge was dismantled and sold to Lake Havasu City, United States, in 1968, and was itself replaced by a concrete structure.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library