Engraving of the 'Nuovo Teatro Anatomico' or new anatomical theatre at the University of Rome in Italy. The Collegio Reale, later the university, was established in the late 18th century and enlarged in 1785 to provide for the study of sciences such as chemistry, anatomy and the theory and practice of medicine, and, in 1792, surgery and midwifery. The Anatomy Theatre shown here was probably built at this time. Two men are examining the disecting table in the centre of the room. Dimensions: 300 mm x 380 mm.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library